[BioC] background correction within beadarray

Mark Dunning mark.dunning at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:31:01 CET 2010

Hi Gordon,

There are two types of background correction used for Illumina data.
The first is an image processing step and occurs at the bead-level
(e.g. in the files such as where each bead is adjusted to adjust for
local aberrations on the surface of the array. This is the
backgroundCorrect function that you find in beadarray.

The second occurs after summarisation, for example by the BeadStudio
software, where each bead-type is adjusted for non-specific
hybridisation using the values of negative controls on the same array.
However, we find this type of correction introduces missing data and
high variability so we don't usually recommend it. Background
correction of summarized data isn't currently supported by beadarray.

Mark