[BioC] Any way to ouput the reordered gene list from heatmap.2()?

Thu Jan 21 18:40:09 CET 2010

Hi Juan,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Juan Lin <julin at aecom.yu.edu> wrote:
> Hi dear all
>
> I am using the heatmap.2 function in the gplots package to draw a heatmap of
> 297 gene list. The plot looks very nice. But  since the rows(genes) were
> reordered along with the dendrogram, is there any way to output this
> reordered gene list from heatmap.2()?

Yes ... take a closer look at the documentation for ?heatmap.2 and in
particular look at the "Value" section.

You'll see that you are (invisibly) returned a list that contains a
component named "rowInd" which contains the permutation of rows used
in the display. So, in your example, simply assign the returned value
from heatmap.2 to a variable, and grab the appropriate component, eg:

R> h <- heatmap.2(ht, Rowv=TRUE, ...)
R> h$rowInd

or

R> rownames(ht)[h$rowInd]