[BioC] Distinguish Synonymous vs. Non-synonymous SNPs

Michael Dondrup Michael.Dondrup at uni.no
Fri Jan 29 12:10:44 CET 2010

Hi Xiwei,
do you mean SNPs that result in non-synonymous vs  synonymous coding? Then a biomart query might do the
job and therefore the package biomaRt could be used to query from within R.  There is a filter in biomart for different
consequence types of SNPs, one of which is NON_SYNONYMOUS_CODING. You can check which filter seems appropriate
This lengthy Url represents a possible query in the biomart web interface:

http://www.biomart.org/biomart/martview?VIRTUALSCHEMANAME=default&ATTRIBUTES=hsapiens_snp.default.snp.refsnp_id|hsapiens_snp.default.snp.chr_name|hsapiens_snp.default.snp.chrom_start|hsapiens_snp.default.snp.consequence_type_tv|hsapiens_snp.default.snp.ensembl_type|hsapiens_snp.default.snp.ensembl_peptide_shift|hsapiens_snp.default.snp.phenotype_description|hsapiens_snp.default.snp.phenotype_name&FILTERS=hsapiens_snp.default.filters.consequence_type."NON_SYNONYMOUS_CODING"&VISIBLEPANEL=resultspanel

it should be possible to set identical parameters in the bioconductor package biomaRt although I didn't try this yet.

Best
Michael