[BioC] WARNING: difference in sorting order depending on computer platform?!?

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Fri Jan 29 21:35:07 CET 2010

Hi Seth and Jenny

not quite so... have a look at the "Details" section of the manual page
"Comparison" in the base package (type:  "? Comparison"):

   Comparison of strings in character vectors is lexicographic within
   the strings using the collating sequence of the locale in use: see
   'locales'.  The collating sequence of locales such as 'en_US' is
   normally different from 'C' (which should use ASCII) and can be
   surprising.  Beware of making _any_ assumptions about the
   collation order: e.g. in Estonian 'Z' comes between 'S' and 'T',
   and collation is not necessarily character-by-character - in
   Danish 'aa' sorts as a single letter, after 'z'.  In Welsh 'ng'
   may or may not be a single sorting unit: if it is it follows 'g'.
   Some platforms may not respect the locale and always sort in
   numerical order of the bytes in an 8-bit locale, or in Unicode
   point order for a UTF-8 locale (and may not sort in the same order
   for the same language in different character sets).  Collation of
   non-letters (spaces, punctuation signs, hyphens, fractions and so
   on) is even more problematic.

In Jenny's case, it is probably best not to rely on any sorting
behaviour, and access the features based on their names.

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

--

Best wishes