[BioC] distances for IRanges

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 05:00:56 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Martin Morgan <mtmorgan at fhcrc.org> wrote:
> On 06/09/2010 02:36 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>> Hi Michael
>>
>> Michael,
>>
>> Thanks for pointing out nearest and friends; I agree that this
>> function should address my question.
>>
>> Reading the man page for nearest function, might I suggest an
>> additional argument like
>>   multihits = c("arbitrary", "all")
>
> yes thanks for the timely nearest hint; for me I was hoping that ties
> could be decided based on maximum overlap (though ties might still
> occur, and perhaps I could break ties myself if 'all' were returned
> without too much difficulty).

I would strongly advocate just returning the multiple hits and let the
user decide how to break ties.  While I certainly see use cases where
Martin's suggestion is reasonable, what happens if a range overlap two
different ranges, which have very different width.  Should "maximum
overlap" be counted in number of integers (in which case you might be
biased towards the longer of the two ranges) or should it be in
%-length or ?  I think allowing for all these possibilities would make
for a very complicated interface with little gain.

One might conceive of a filter function on top of the return object
(which could work for findOverlaps as well), but as the filtering in
some cases would depend on additional metadata (say the ranges are of
different type and there is an ordering on the type so an overlap with
a certain type trumps another type), it might be a lot of
infrastructure with very little gain.  And really, the filtering would
just be an apply over the sparse matrix.

Kasper