[BioC] Limma and p-adjust: 'global' on non-orthogonal contrasts?

Paolo Innocenti paolo.innocenti at ebc.uu.se
Mon Jun 14 17:49:28 CEST 2010

Dear Gordon and list,

I have a question about p-value adjustment for multiple testing across
contrasts.

Let's say we have three groups, as in the Limma user guide, section 8.6,
and this contrasts are closely related one another, so we want to apply
method="global" to decideTests().

The code in section 8.6:

 > f <- factor(targets$Target, levels=c("RNA1","RNA2","RNA3"))
 > design <- model.matrix(~0+f)
 > colnames(design) <- c("RNA1","RNA2","RNA3")
 > fit <- lmFit(eset, design)
 > contrast.matrix <- makeContrasts(RNA2-RNA1, RNA3-RNA2, RNA3-RNA1,
+                                  levels=design)
 > fit2 <- contrasts.fit(fit, contrast.matrix)
 > fit2 <- eBayes(fit2)

Here we have 3 contrasts on 3 levels, so only the first two are
orthogonal (or at least so it says in "The R book"). Is it justified
here to run

 >decideTests(fit2, method="global")

or having non totally independent contrasts makes it impossible to
correct the p-values "globally"?

Best,
paolo

--