[BioC] DESeq and number of replicates required for RNA-Seq

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Mon Jun 14 18:42:45 CEST 2010

The issue is a mix of expression level and sample size.  For count
data, the power is higher when the expression is higher.  Also, the
p-values are discrete - the lower the total read count, the fewer
values are possible, which messes up the FDR estimation.

Of course, understanding the problem does not necessarily suggest a
solution.  But sample sizes will need to be large (or you need to
sequence very deeply) if you want to detect differential expression
in low expressing genes.

--Naomi