[BioC] TLDA data

Heidi Dvinge heidi at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jun 16 19:39:29 CEST 2010

Hello Deepak,

> Dear sir
>

> Almost all analysis are working well. Thank you for all your helps
> throughout the process. HTqPCR package was very help full because i
> was able generate heat maps and performed clustering analysis. Now i
> am having few dought which i didt find in the vintage also. What is
> iqr.value and for what this is done.

The IQR value is the interquartile range. It measures how much
variation you see across your data for each gene, so it's a way for
you to remove genes that show only little or almost no variation
across your samples, since these are unlikely to be differentially
expressed anyway. For high-content microarrays removing these genes
is an advantage, since removing "uninteresting" genes before the
downstream analysis means that when you correct your p-values for
multiple testing, this correction will be less strict.

For qPCR cards the number of genes is typically quite low, so this is
less of an issue. Removing the low-IQR genes prior to the analysis of
differential expression probably doesn't make much difference for
your p-values.
>   For me when i have done t test
> it showed some error but mann whitney test worked. After mann whitney
> test i got fold change mean value of all sample in a tumor group
> compared to normal group. Can we get fold change value of individual
> samples in tumor group compared to mean of normal samples.

I'm afraid that this is something you'd have to calculate "manually",
i.e. using non-HTqPCR functions. It shouldn't be too difficult
though. If you e.g. have 20 samples and a qPCRset names "q", and the
first 10 are test and the the last 10 are controls, you can say e.g.

data <- getCt(q)
data.test <- data[,1:10]
data.control <- data[,11:20]
mean.control <- rowMeans(data.control)
fc.test <- data.test - mean.control

> Could we
> get result in excel or as separate sheet as we get plots.

In R you can always write results to a file using for example
write.table. To get a tab-separated excel-like file, say:

# Load example preprocessed data
data(qPCRpros)
# Test between two groups, collapsing replicated features
diff.exp <- mannwhitneyCtData(qPCRpros[,1:4], groups=factor(c("A",
"B", "B", "A")), calibrator="B")
# Write to file
write.table(diff.exp, file="test.xls", sep="\t", quote=FALSE,
row.names=FALSE)
> Once again thank you for your help during the analysis.

You're welcome.
> > iqr.values <- apply(exprs(d.norm), 1, IQR)
>
> Error in quantile.default(as.numeric(x), c(0.25, 0.75), na.rm =
> na.rm,  :
>
>  missing values and NaN's not allowed if 'na.rm' is FALSE

As the error says, this doesn't work if you have NAs in your data. If
you look at the help file for IQR, ?IQR, you'll see that there's an
option na.rm which you can set to TRUE. When using the apply
function, this would be:
qr.values <- apply(exprs(d.norm), 1, IQR, na.rm=TRUE)

> > qDE.ttest <- ttestCtData(sr.norm[,1:4], groups=files$Treatment[1:4],
>
> + calibrator="Normal")
>
> Error in ttestCtData(sr.norm[, 1:4], groups = files$Treatment[1:4],
> calibrator = "Normal") :
>
>  Two factor levels required for 'groups

Do the first 4 samples actually belong to different groups?? I.e. are
there two different groups listed in files$Treatment[1:4]? Otherwise
you're trying to perform a t-test of all samples against nothing,
which isn't possible.

HTH
\Heidi