[BioC] dispersion in edgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jun 26 07:19:28 CEST 2010

Hi Naomi,

Thanks for your interesting questions about the edgeR model.

1)  We assume that variability in RNA-seq counts come from three
sources:

a) sampling variability associated with sequencing (for each lane),
b) technical variation in library preparation (lane to lane), and
c) biological variation

Sources (b) and (c) affect the underlying concentration of each transcript
in each RNA sample, whereas (a) affects the precision with which this
concentration is measured by sequencing technology.  The dispersion
parameter in the edgeR model measures the squared coefficient of variation
(CV) of each transcript's concentration arising from sources (b) and (c).
Experiments suggest that variability from source (b) is relatively minor,
so the dispersion is essentially the squared CV of biological variation.

If you sequence deeply enough, you can theoretically eliminate variability
from source (a) almost entirely.  In other words, you can determine almost
perfectly the concentration of each transcript in each sample.  However
you can't eliminate biological variability (b+c) in this way.  As you
sequence more and more deeply, power to detect differential expression is
eventually determined only by biological variation, hence the asymptote
that you mention.  In the edgeR model, this is reflected by the fact that
observed transcript concentrations converge to gamma distributed random
variables with CV = sqrt(dispersion).

To further increase the power to detect differential expression you would
need to reduce biological variability as well, and you could only do that
by increasing the number of biological replicates.  This is what the model
predicts.

2) When shrinking the dispersion estimates, the amount of shrinkage
depends on the precision with which the original value is estimated as
well as by the weight of the prior distribution.  For a given number of
libraries, larger counts give more reliable estimates of the dispersion
than small counts.  Hence dispersions for rare transcripts tend to be
shrunk more than dispersions for very abundant transcripts.  Hence the
shrinkage is not monontonic.

Best
Gordon