[BioC] bioconductor on rocks cluster

David Schruth dschruth at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 30 21:37:29 CEST 2010

We use R on our Rocks Cluster.

R was installed across our compute nodes by folding its RPM into a rocks
distro compute node (re)-build
http://www.rocksclusters.org/roll-documentation/base/5.3/customization-adding-packages.html

We install our *libraries*, however,  manually & one-at-a-time into
/share/apps/ via the root user
(who's R_LIBS variable points to the R_LIBS_SITE which points to
/share/apps/R/site_library  which is

mounted on all nodes

)

For bioconductor packages we use BiocLite.
Just log in as root, fire up R, and run:

source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite(<yourpackagehere>)

It sounds like others have done the same:
https://lists.sdsc.edu/pipermail/npaci-rocks-discussion/2007-September/027232.html

I suppose that you could install a the entire Bioconductor RPM in the
same way we installed R (using a global node rebuild)  but that's
probably overkill.

Anybody else have other ideas?

David M. Schruth
Informatics Consultant