[BioC] Using annotation maps as environments in packages

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 4 19:42:56 CET 2010

Hi Antti,

You didn't give a lot of detail, but this message probably means that
you did not load the Annotation package before calling (in the 3rd
case). You can put a call to require() in your function to make the
specific annotation package be loaded, but this is probably NOT the best
way to handle that.  It is probably a much better idea at this point for
you to look at the getAnnMap() function from the annotate package.

library(annotate)
?getAnnMap

As you read the manual page, you will see that getAnnMap is used to
return the map (what you are calling the envir) so that you can do this
sort of thing in a more generic way.  That is, you specify the package
name and the mapping you want, and getAnnMap will try to load any needed
packages etc. to make sure that its there for you.

Hope this helps,

  Marc