[BioC] Limma-Contrasts-Question

Biju Joseph bjoseph at hygiene.uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Mar 15 08:17:27 CET 2010

Thanks Gordon for your answer.

In my question, I was referring to the DE expressed genes in the same
direction.

What I am actually unclear about is the following.

Lets say, I generate topTables for
1. A1-A2
2. B1-B2

Now using these 2 individual tables, I could pull out the genes common
in either direction using lets say Access.

Is this method valid and safe?
How comparable should this manually generated common response between
strains A and B in conditions 1 and 2 be comparable to the topTable
generated using (A1+B1)/2 - (A2+B2)/2. Of course I think that these 2
methods should generate more or less the same results at least with
respect to numbers of DE genes.

What FC is better to report for the common response? One from using
the (A1+B1)/2 - (A2+B2)/2 contrast or the FC from the individual
topTables.

Best
Biju