[BioC] Problems installing Bioconductor Affy on Windows 7

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 16 03:29:36 CET 2010

Hi Marissa --

On 03/15/2010 09:32 AM, Marissa LaMadrid wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I originally had problems installing Affy on R version 2.10.1 (while
> learning to use Limma), read various threads on Affy installation issues and
> potential version incompatibilities, and decided to reinstall R from
> scratch, after deleting all previous versions.
>

> Now, when I follow Bioconductor installing instructions, I get the message
> below.
>

>> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>
>> biocLite()
>
> Using R version 2.10.1, biocinstall version 2.5.10.
>
> Installing Bioconductor version 2.5 packages:
>
>  [1] "affy"         "affydata"     "affyPLM"      "annaffy"      "annotate"
>

>  [6] "Biobase"      "biomaRt"      "Biostrings"   "DynDoc"       "gcrma"
>

> [11] "genefilter"   "geneplotter"  "hgu95av2.db"  "limma"        "marray"
>

> [16] "multtest"     "vsn"          "xtable"       "affyQCReport"
>
> Please wait...
>

> Error in read.dcf(file = tmpf) :
>
>   Line starting '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLI ...' is malformed!

Hmm. My guess is that this is a network problem, either transient (the
bioconductor web site not available when you tried biocLite()?) or due
to a firewall or other configuration on your (company) end. Can you try

  source('http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R')
  biocLite('Biobase')

and if it fails provide

  traceback()

? The usual suggestion for firewall types of issues is to start R (e.g.,
from the DOS prompt) with Rgui --internet2, so you might try that, too.

Martin