[BioC] microRNA: which genes code for a specific mirna?

Chao-Jen Wong cwon2 at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 18 19:13:54 CET 2010

Hi, Tim

Actually the miRNA chromosomal coordinates is available but hidden in
the microRNA package. You can use the following script to fetch it:

p=system.file("extdata", package="microRNA")
hsChrmMat <- read.table(file.path(p, "hsa.gff"), header=FALSE)
hsID  <- gsub("[ID=\";]", "", hsChrmMat[, 10])
hsAcc <- gsub("[ACC=\";]", "", hsChrmMat[, 9])
## process the file
hsChrmCoord <- data.frame(ID = hsID,
                 Accession = hsAcc,
    Chrm.Start = hsChrmMat[, 4],
    Chrm.End = hsChrmMat[, 5],
                            Strand = hsChrmMat[, 7])
 head(hsChrmCoord)

Note that the "hsa.gff" file is in deed download from miRBase.org. I
don't know how old the 'hsa.gff' file is in the microRNA package.  If
you want the latest one, you can download directly from miRBase and use
the code above to read the file. Hope this helps.

Chao-Jen