[BioC] Proxy issues

Jonathan Arthur jonathan.arthur at sydney.edu.au
Tue Mar 23 23:59:59 CET 2010

Hello all,

I have just switched from a Windows PC to a Mac and am having problems
installing Bioconductor. I believe the problem is the University proxy
server.

On Windows, I use the internet2.dll (see 2.19.a in the R for Windows FAQ).
This essentially make R connect to the internet through Internet Explorer.
Thus, as IE has been configured to work with the University proxy, via an
automatic proxy configuration file, R works fine this way too.

However, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent option for Mac. Furthermore,
I don't know the proxy server details as browsers are configured using an
automatic proxy configuration file, rather than by manually setting a proxy
server.

My questions are:

1) Is there an internet2.dll equivalent for Mac, so I can point
R/Bioconductor through Safari?

2) If not, can R/Bioconductor use an automatic proxy configuration file to
determine the correct proxy server details?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jonathan

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JONATHAN ARTHUR
Discipline of Medicine | Sydney Medical School

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Room 141, Medical Foundation Building K25 | The University of Sydney | NSW |
2006
T +61 2 9036 3132  | F +61 2 9036 3233  | M +61 425 397 698
E jonathan.arthur at sydney.edu.au  | W http://sydney.edu.au

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use
is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it
and any attachments.

Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.