[BioC] GCRMA Normalization Differences between Windows and MAC

Zhijin Wu zwu at stat.brown.edu
Thu Mar 25 13:58:49 CET 2010

We did make changes of the package over the years. One of the major
changes is in the step of "gene specific binding (GSB) adjustment". This
adjustment is done because probes have different efficiency in
hybridization. At the background adjustment step, we do not really give
probes 0 even if they appear to be mostly background, because of the
trouble for log transformation. So those probes were shrunk to a lower
bound parameter instead of 0. The original GSB adjustment was done on
all probes. later we have decided to leave those probes at the lower
bound un-adjusted because these were most likely background only (Thanks
to  Lim et al, who discovered the problem and suggested the fix. see
http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/23/13/i282 .)

This change would mostly affect genes that are probably not expressed,
but would also affect some genes that have a few very weak probes.

best,
Jean