[BioC] GenomicFeatures question

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Fri Mar 26 18:56:53 CET 2010

Hi Paul,

Vince is right and those mouse and human specific packages are just
older packages and are only here for legacy support.  Going forward we
aim to make GenomicFeatures more flexible.  To this end we have provided
support to get tracks from UCSC and data from biomaRt and to
automatically assemble a database for you with an organism/build of your
choosing.  Vince is also right that using saveFeatures() and
loadFeatures() is how you should manage the data you download so that
your research will be reproducible.

For a more complete treatment of how to make the most of this package,
please see the latest version of the GenomicFeatures vignette called
"Making and Utilizing TranscriptDb Objects" (which was recently
revamped).  You can find it here:

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/devel/bioc/html/GenomicFeatures.html

Hope this helps, if you have more questions after seeing the new
vignette let us know so we can improve the documentation,

  Marc