[BioC] segfault with rmaMicroRna in AgiMicroRna package

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Sat May 1 01:08:18 CEST 2010

Heyi,

A couple of suggestions to help you get help more quickly.

1. Try upgrading your R and Bioconductor packages to the latest release
and see if that resolves the problem for you.

2. If you still see the crash, since you are running on Linux you should
be able to extract some further debugging information that will be
useful to the package maintainer.  Do as follows:

    bash$ R -d gdb
    (gdb) run
       R> # run your example to get the crash
    (gdb) bt 15

Send the output of the backtrace to help identify where things are going
astray.

+ seth

On 4/30/10 3:48 PM, heyi xiao wrote:

> Dear Pedro,
>
> I am using AgiMicroRna 1.0.0 to process my agilent miRNA
> microarray data. Agilent Feature Extraction Software v10.7 was
> used to extract the features. I got segfault when I do rmaMicroRna:
>

>> dd.rma=rmaMicroRna(dd.micro,
>
> +  normalize=TRUE,
>
> +  background=TRUE)
>

>   *** caught segfault ***
>
> address 0x10cd6000,
> cause 'memory not mapped'
>

> However, this
> problem is gone when I do rmaMicroRna on a subset of my dd.micro:
>
>> dd.rma=rmaMicroRna(dd.micro[,13:16],
>
> +  normalize=TRUE,
>
> +  background=TRUE)
>

> I have check my dd.micro
> data, everything is fine. In other words, rmaMicroRna only works when I apply
> it to a smaller dataset. BTW, I am using a 64 bit version of R on linux
> machine. Therefore, memory limit shouldn’t be an issue here. Could you look at
> this issue? Thanks a lot!
>
> Heyi
>

> PS: my session information:
>
>> sessionInfo()
>
> R version 2.9.0
> (2009-04-17)
>
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>

> locale:
>
> LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>

> attached base
> packages:
>
> [1] stats     graphics
> grDevices utils     datasets  methods