[BioC] Validated miRNAs revisited

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue May 4 19:18:38 CEST 2010

There's a couple of things of note here.

Last time I looked, TarBase had about 1300 records and miRecords 1600.  This data covers a number of species, across hundreds of microRNAs and 10000's of genes per species.  The take home message is that these databases are hopelessly incomplete, and cover only a fraction of miRNA:gene interactions.  This is not a criticism of either, but often in whole genome assays, one needs more coverage than these two provide.

The second thing I'd say is to look carefully at the evidence code.  For instance, in TarBase, for mir-155, about 100 of the records come from a single paper, which used pSILAC as their method.  Now, I encourage you to read the paper, but to summarise, pSILAC is a proteomics based method;  the authors essentially altered the expression of specific microRNAs and then looked at which PROTEINS differed subsequently.  Of course, microRNAs do not act on proteins directly (as far as we know), they act on messenger RNA.  So these proteomic effects, as far as I can tell, could be primary (e.g. the miRNA suppresses the mRNA and therefore no protein gets made) or secondary (e.g. the miRNA suppresses the mRNA of a transcription factor and therefore less targets of the transcription factor are made).  I guess what I am trying to say is that there are different definitions of "validated" targets, and these databases may contains genes which are not directly targetted by microRNAs, but which form parts of systems that are targetted by them

Mick