[BioC] help: limma and changing gene results!

Koen Marien koenmarien87 at gmail.com
Wed May 12 09:54:12 CEST 2010

Thanks for the clear and fast reply, Jim. Indeed a-(b+c+d) isn't a contrast,
but I think I'm having a different problem. Here is the experiment shortly
explained:

I have four populations of cells with three biological replicates for each
population -> a1,a2,a3,b1,b2,b3,c1,c2,c3,d1,d2,d3. I normalized them and
looked at the differentially expressed genes between the 'a' population and
each of those other populations individually: a-b, a-c, a-d. The venn
approach is done with the online web application Venny and only looks at the
common probe set ID's in the three lists (let's call it the 'one-on-one
strategy').
I also looked at the differentially expressed genes when b, c and d values
where put together: a-e with e=b+c+d (let's call it the 'group strategy').
So it's not really the contrasts that are changed.

Now, when looking at the one-on-one strategy list there are only five genes
common in the three groups with a B-value > 2, while in the group strategy
there are 181 probe sets with a B-value > 2.

Relevent code used:
read all the cell files (a,b,c,d)
pd<-data.frame(population=c(rep(1,3),rep(2,8)),replicate=c(seq(1,3),seq(1,8)
)) => group strategy
or
only read the .cel files of two populations (a,b or a,c or a,d)
pd<-data.frame(population=c(rep(1,3),rep(2,3)),replicate=c(seq(1,3),seq(1,3)
)) => one-on-one strategy (repeated three times for each comparison)

group<-factor(eset$population)
design = model.matrix(~0+group)
design
cont.matrix = makeContrasts(eset = (group2 - group1), levels = design)
cont.matrix

Regards

Koen