[BioC] LIMMA: data with technical replicate/familial relationship/biological replicate

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Sat May 15 16:35:49 CEST 2010

If you want to take the family correlation structure into account,
limma is not the appropriate software.  MAANOVA can handle balanced
random effects type data - this would use a random effect that
induces equal correlation among all family members regardless of
degree of relatedness.  To handle unbalanced family data or familial
effects determined by the degree of relatedness, you need the more
flexible correlation structure afforded by software such as
lme.  However, this does not give you the added power afforded by
(empirical) Bayesian shrinkage.  As well, you would need to fit gene
by gene, which will definitely mean very slow run time.

--Naomi