[BioC] Bioconductor Digest, Vol 87, Issue 10

Richard Pearson richard.pearson at well.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 19 15:11:38 CEST 2010

Hi Avinash

So, it looks from your code like you haven't provided any phenotype information about your
CEL files, and therefore each CEL file will be treated as a different condition. Because
you have only 1 array per condition (i.e. you have no replicates), limma is going to give
an error. Please note the following line from the puma User Guide (bottom of page 4 if
you're using puma 2.0.0, but you still haven't given me the output from sessionInfo() so I
don't know what version you're using):
"The easiest way to supply phenotype information is in a text file that is loaded using
the phenotype parameter of the ReadAffy function". Unfortunately, my documentation is
incorrect here - ReadAffy has no phenotype parameter! Instead it should say phenoData
parameter.

As I suggested in my first reply, showing the output of pData(eset_rma) would confirm that
the above is true. From reading ?ReadAffy, my guess is that pData(eset_rma) will give you
a data.frame with a column called sample containing the numbers 1 to 6.

To provide phenotype data for your eset_rma object you could do something like the following:

pData(eset_rma) <- data.frame(AvinashCondition=c("Condition1", "Condition1", "Condition1",
"Condition2", "Condition2", "Condition2"))

"contrast" is a standard statistical term. I've tried to explain this in section 4.6 of
the puma manual, but you could also look at the limma user guide, or google this (e.g. to
get here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_%28statistics%29), or ask a local
statistician.

Please do read the posting guide - it can be found here:
http://www.bioconductor.org/docs/postingGuide.html

Best wishes

Richard

Dr Richard D Pearson                       richard.pearson at well.ox.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics   http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/~rpearson
University of Oxford                       Tel: +44 (0)1865 617890
Roosevelt Drive                            Mob: +44 (0)7971 221181
Oxford OX3 7BN, UK                         Fax: +44 (0)1865 287664