[BioC] code improvements

Kuhn, Alexandre (NIH/NIA/IRP) [V] kuhnam at mail.nih.gov
Wed May 19 15:32:31 CEST 2010

Mike,

if you have improvements to the code of annotationTools, you can contact me and I will be happy to try and incorporate them. My current email address is the package DESCRIPTION file that you can display using packageDescription("annotationTools").

You implied in your post on BioStar that column indices into annotation files are hard-coded in annotationTools functions. When designing them I actually tried to allow for flexibility in file format and provided the corresponding options, like e.g. for getGENEID

idCol: column in annotation table containing the gene IDs.

Or for getHOMOLOG

clusterCol: column in homology/orthology table containing homology/orthology cluster IDs.
speciesCol: column in homology/orthology table containing species IDs.
idCol: column in homology/orthology table containing gene IDs.

I set the default values to match the format of Affymetrix files (for annotation functions) or HomoloGene file (for getHOMOLOG for instance). However these file formats might have changed since then. If this is the case, I will change the default values.

Alex