[BioC] Reading in data with HTqPCR

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu May 27 16:35:04 CEST 2010

One additional point about paths (see below)

Heidi Dvinge wrote:
>> sir,
>>
>> iam geting some error in reading raw data step. i converted all my
>> realtime pcr data into tad-delimited text file,along with that a text
>> file listing sample name
>> and biological condition,and one text file of SDS .With this mail iam
>> attaching that folder in which three text files are there 1- real time
>> PCR data which is named
>> as plate1 (like this 20 plate i have), 2- text file listing sample
>> name and biological condition,3- SDS file
>> this file was save in D drive and i changed the directory of R to the
>> folder HTqPCR.
>>
>> out put of R work sheet i also attached with this mail whaen i give
>> path to read my data its reading the example data which is present the
>> package.
>>
>> thank you
>>
>> Deepak
>>
> Hello Deepak,
>
> first, a few comments. Attachments aren't accepted to the BioConductor
> list and are stripped. Therefore, please always provide the code you
> used and the error messages you got in the actual email. Also, always
> include the output of sessionInfo(), so people on the list can see
> whether the error you get is related to your R an/or package version.
>
> The commands you include in your file are:
>
>  > all.R.commands <- system.file("doc", "HTqPCR.Rnw", package = "HTqPCR")
>  > Stangle(all.R.commands)
>
> Writing to file HTqPCR.R
>
>  > ls("package:HTqPCR")
>
> Error in as.environment(pos) :
>
>   no item called "package:HTqPCR" on the search list
>

> Don't forget that every time you want to use a package, you have to load
> it with library(). Just having it installed in R is not sufficient, so
> in you case you need library(HTqPCR).
>

>  > path <- d:\("HTqPCR\tlda", package="HTqPCR")
>
> Error: unexpected input in "path <- d:\"
>
> This gives an error, so you haven't actually changed the path! This is
> why it still reads in the default data. Also, unless you've actually put
> your data in the folder where HTqPCR is installed from (bad idea), you
> just need the path itself. You have your d:\ outside the quotes, so
> you'll need something like:
>
> path <- "d:\HTqPCR\tlda"

This won't work as a path, as the '\' is used in R as an escape

 > path <- "d:\HTqPCR\tlda"
Error: '\H' is an unrecognized escape in character string starting "d:\H"

so you have to either double up:

path <- "d:\\HTqPCR\\tlda"

or IMO, preferably, use Unix path separators

path <- "d:/HTqPCR/tlda"

Best,

Jim

> [...]
>> regarding how to handle multiple samples present on each individual
>> plate.
>> The rest of the manual goes through how to analyse qPCR data in general
>> with HTqPCR, including examples of all the main commands.
>>
>> If you have any specific questions or problems along the way, then please
>> just ask me (via the bioconductor email list,
>> bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch). Remember to include some example code
>> showing what you've done, and any error messages that might have
>> occurred.
>> This makes it easier for me and the other members of the BioConductor ist
>> to help you.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> \Heidi
>>
>> >  sir,
>> >
>> > thank for  your kind help. i tried as you said with R 2.11 and it is
>> > working. i tried to analysis the example data with in that it worked
>> well.
>> > now i will try with my data, My data consist of 48 features represented
>> > eight times on the array. using one TLDA card i have done 8 samples.
>> > whether
>> > this type of data can be analysed using HTqPCR.
>> >
>> > thanking you
>> > deepak
>> >

>> > try:
>> >
>> > source  ("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>> > biocLite("HTqPCR")
>> >
>> > Note the "www" - as your error message say, you don't actually
>> source the
>> > biocLite.R file, so you don't have an biocLite function, and
>> therefore you
>> > can't use biocLite to install anything.
>> >
>> > Regarding the version, I recommend you to use R-2.11 (the stable
>> release
>> > version) or perhaps R-2.12 (the development version) if you really need
>> > some of the newer features for whatever reason. R-2.10 will give you
>> > HTqPCR version 1.0.0, but it has changes quite a lot since then, so the
>> > version 1.2.0 you get with R-2.11 is likely to be significantly
>> easier to
>> > use.
>> >
>> > \Heidi

>> source

>> data
>> >> >> >
>> HTqPCR<http://www.ebi.ac.uk/bertone/software/HTqPCR_1.1.4.zip>in R

>> use:

>> installed
>> version

>> > --
>> > Deepak Roshan V G
>> > Laboratory Of Cell Cycle Regulation  &   Molecular Oncology
>> > Division of Cancer Research
>> > Regional Cancer Centre
>> > Thiruvananthapuram
>> > Kerala, India 695 011
>> >

>> --
>> Deepak Roshan V G
>> Laboratory Of Cell Cycle Regulation  &   Molecular Oncology
>> Division of Cancer Research
>> Regional Cancer Centre
>> Thiruvananthapuram
>> Kerala, India 695 011 <HTqPCR.rar><R version 2.doc>

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician
Douglas Lab
University of Michigan