[BioC] beadarray, bash, hulk, excludeBrihtBeadNeighbors, et al -- how to use practically?

Mark Dunning mark.dunning at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 11:39:14 CET 2010

Hi Anand,

Many thanks for your interest in our work on spatial artefacts. Our
current belief is to do things in the following order

1) Detect the phenomena described in the Smith et al (2010) paper. You
do need to run generateNeighbours before many of these functions. The
number of beads detected at this stage should be relatively small, and
would probably be removed by BASH anyway. However, their presence in
the BASH calculation might hide other defects that should be removed.

2) BASH to mask artefacts

3) HULK to smooth gradients

The order in which one does BASH and HULK could be a topic for
research. In cases of severe gradients across the array, you might get
a lot of beads masked at one edge of the array. However, if HULK were
run first these beads might be saved.

I guess you've already found the setWeights function in beadarray that
can save the weights found by BASH to the bead-level object? These
weights are multiplied by bead intensities when the bead summary data
are created. Currently we tend to use 0 or 1 as weights but there is
no reason why you couldn't use other values. A feature of the new
version of beadarray (version 2.0 and newer) is that you can save
weights under different names in the bead-level object. It should be
possible to do a series of tests for aberrant beads, save the results
separately and then combine in some way to produce the weights used in
summarisation.

Could you give more information about the errors you have with
EBImage? Which version of EBImage are you running? We tried the latest
of EBImage with the example data for the Smith et al paper and it
worked fine.

Regards,

Mark