[BioC] Background correction with just a few spots

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Nov 11 23:45:00 CET 2010

Dear January,

As Wei says, the neqc() function in limma has the effect of subtracting
the mean intensity of the negative control or "background" spots from the
other spots, before going on to do other normalization.  The nec()
function gives you a bit more control if you don't want to do quantile
normalization.  These functions can operate on the objects you get from
read.maimages().  This is the way we'd recommend you to do it, although
you could simply background subtract without the normexp step.

We could give more details in terms of code if you show us how you're
reading the data in and what sort of data object you're creating.  For
example, is the data one channel or two channel?

Best wishes
Gordon