[BioC] MySQL mode is not available in biomaRt?

Vincent Carey stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 15 18:43:51 CET 2010

   From the man page for v 2.1.0 of biomaRt, running under R 2.10:

          web service mode supports all BioMart queries.  Local BioMart
          databases can be accessed by specifying the local host which
          runs the local BioMart web service.

   mysql: MySQL access to Ensembl is no longer supported.  biomaRt in
          web service mode supports all BioMart queries.  Local BioMart
          databases can be accessed by specifying the local host which
          runs the local BioMart web service.

    user: MySQL access to Ensembl is no longer supported.  biomaRt in
          web service mode supports all BioMart queries.  Local BioMart
          databases can be accessed by specifying the local host which
          runs the local BioMart web service.

password: MySQL access to Ensembl is no longer supported.  biomaRt in
          web service mode supports all BioMart queries.  Local BioMart
          databases can be accessed by specifying the local host which
          runs the local BioMart web service.

my suggestion is to remove the mysql parameter setting from your call
and proceed as you used to.  if you get errors on subsequent queries
write a new email to the list.  be sure to read carefully the man page
for the functions you are using before using them.  also, you can get
sequence data without web service if you have BSgenome.Mmusculus...
package installed.  Check the annotation/metadata package pages.