[BioC] Group millions of the same DNA sequences?

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 23:32:28 CET 2010

You can use the aggregate function, i.e. if X is a vector of your sequences, i.e. X[i] is a character containing your i-th sequence (i=1,2,...,100M) then do
y <- aggregate(X,list(X),length)
then y is a two columns data.frame with column 1 containing the sequence and column 2 containing the count.
If this is too slow in R, use sort -u on Unix (like Wei suggested) to get the sequences sorted and unique and then write a simple C program which runs over all your sequences and adds 1 to count[i] where i is this sequence's index in the unique and sorted list (you can use binary search to get that i).