[BioC] RMA: Affy MoEx and background correction

Benilton Carvalho beniltoncarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 18:06:09 CET 2010

Peter,

the beauty of RMA is its independency on the MM probes.

The bg correction on the whitepaper you point to is not the one used by RMA.

Assuming that the PMs measure background + signal, given some
distributional properties (background is normal; signal is
exponential), what the background correction step in RMA does is to
estimate the signal conditional on the fact that you observed
signal+background:

S ~ Normal()
B ~ Exponential()
E[S | B+S]