[BioC] Job Posting: Scientific Programmer
gfinak at fhcrc.org
Fri Oct 15 19:44:30 CEST 2010
Scientific Programmer Position in Dr. Gottardo's group at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle WA.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home of three Nobel laureates, is an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other potentially fatal diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone-marrow transplantation, the Center’s five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science. The Hutchinson Center, in collaboration with its clinical and research partners, the University of Washington and Seattle Children’s, is the only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Pacific Northwest. Join us and make a difference.
A scientific programmer (Systems Analyst Programmer III) position is available immediately in the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division (VIDD) of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC), Seattle, WA. The successful applicant will work with Dr. Raphael Gottardo to support the development of software packages to analyze and integrate high throughput data from immunological assays. The position will involve development of R / Bioconductor packages for analysis of high-throughput data, including algorithm development and implementation and creative solutions to large volume data management challenges.
The successful applicant will interact with both scientists in VIDD and in the program in Computational Biology. In particular, he/she will be expected to interact with the Bioconductor team. The FHCRC provides a highly interactive and supportive environment; it consistently ranks in the top 20 best places to work for academia, as surveyed by The Scientist.
Required qualifications include:
- 3 or more years experience with programming languages, for example C, perl, python, ruby, matlab, R
- Experience with software development best practices appropriate for small teams, for instance use of version control, git, and creation of end-user documentation
- Familiarity with statistical concepts and methods
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) or comparable experience in computer science,
statistics, bioinformatics, software engineering, or related disciplines
Recommended qualifications include:
- Familiarity with software architecture and design patterns for high-throughput data analysis pipelines
- Experience with high-volume biological data, such as from
flow cytometry and/or next generation sequencing data
- Experience with relational databases, database schema design, SQL and/or netCDF / HDF5 file formats
- Familiarity with bioinformatics workflows
- Familiarity with high performance computing using openmpi, openmp, and GPUs
Pay, Benefits, and Work Schedule
Full time position
Salary based on experience + excellent benefits.
How to Apply
Please apply online at http://fhcrc.org/about/jobs/index.html AND send a cover letter summarizing previous work experience and future interests, a complete CV, and contact information for three professional references to:
Human Resources, J1-105
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
P.O. Box 19024
Seattle, WA 98109
scanaver at fhcrc.org
Please refer to position number SC-23423
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance are equal opportunity employers, committed to workforce diversity
More information about the Bioconductor