[BioC] Three-color microarray analysis

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Mon Oct 18 06:07:42 CEST 2010

Hi Tom Sing,

Thank you, this sounds reasonable. I think the analysis is conceptually
not different from that of 4 replicates of 3 one-color arrays.

So, you could think of the measurement for each gene as a point in 3D
space, and consider different projections (e.g. on the plane normal to
the average vector (1,1,1)), perhaps like Fig. 7 in
http://www-huber.embl.de/pub/pdf/hvhv.pdf

Depending on how that plot looks, one could attempt to detect gene set
enrichment in different areas (directions) of the plot, e.g. using
Hotelling's t-statistic and the applyByCategory function in the Category
package; or the polar angle.

Hope this helps.

	Wolfgang

PS - was a dye swap performed between the four biological replicates? If
not, I'd expect to pay a substantial amount of attention to confounding
of biological effects with dye-effects.