[BioC] multicore Vignette or HowTo??

Joern Toedling Joern.Toedling at curie.fr
Fri Oct 29 14:34:30 CEST 2010

Hi Edwin,

this has probably been answered already by now, but in case it hasn't:

The solution is simple:

library("multicore")
options("cores"=4)

result <- mclapply(<your_complete_list_of_data objects>,
<your_function_to_process_a-single_data_object>)

No need to create extra vectors or something, mclapply will distribute the
computations on each individual object on one processor each, so four objects
will be treated in parallel.

Regards,
Joern

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:24:25 +0200, Edwin Groot wrote

> Hello Tim
>
> Well, I am dumber. How do I set up my data so that your suggestion of
> mclapply(list.of.keys, function) would work under the multicore
> package?
> My inkling is if I had 20 scanner files, and 4 CPU cores, it would have
> something to do with a list of 4 vectors of length 5 elements each. How
> does such a code look like?
> Thanks for the gc() tip.
>
> Edwin

---