[BioC] Combining data from runs

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sat Sep 11 11:18:06 CEST 2010

Hi Supriya,

if the aim is to analyse the data together, I would try the following:
- run rma on all 82 arrays together
- produce a quality report using the arrayQualityMetrics package
(preferably with the current "devel" version) and check the diagnostics,
in particular the heatmap, for how bad the batch effect really is.
- if there is no strong confounding between your two batches and the
biological factor of interest, find differentially expressed genes using
limma, keeping the batch as a covariate to absorb the (average) batch
effect.
- for the hits, go back to the raw data (e.g. via scatterplot or
heatmap) to double-check that there are no batch-related artifacts.

This seems to be an instance of where lazy experimental design has to be
compensated by a more difficult data analysis, and you might want to
have a word with whoever designed this experiment about that.

	best wishes
	Wolfgang