[BioC] Coverage vs GC bias - how to?

Harris A. Jaffee hj at jhu.edu
Sun Sep 12 20:32:50 CEST 2010

I wonder if you are blurring a couple of concepts, and I'm not sure if
bias is the right word, rather than an actual facet of the situation.

You could get the GC content of your suite of reads fairly directly:

	a = alphabetFrequency(reads, baseOnly=TRUE)
	reads_GC_content = a[,"C"] + a[,"G"]

But for the GC content of the alignments, you might do this (also from
Biostrings):

  U: reference (must be unmasked, if masked)
  N: read/alignment width
  L: alignment starting locations

	lf = letterFrequencyInSlidingView(U, view.width=N, letters="CG")
	alignments_GC_content = lf[L,]

Note that 'lf' holds the GC content of all subsequences of length N
along
your reference sequence.  This may seem wasteful, but it can be
faster to
do all that, then subset it for the relevant subsequences, than to
extract
those subsequences, get their alphabetFrequency, etc.

Let us know if we aren't getting to what you need.  -Harris