[BioC] Gating with an ellipsoidGate

Josef Spidlen jspidlen at bccrc.ca
Tue Sep 14 19:00:19 CEST 2010

Hi Roger,
I am not the author of flowCore but I believe the ellipsoid gate
constructor takes covariance matrices since this is used in the
Gating-ML specification. Mathematically, this is a nice way to specify
ellipsoids in multidimensional space.

I have posted a simple spreadsheet that allows you to convert the
representation of an ellipse by half-axes, rotation and centre point to
covariance matrix, mean (= centre point), and distance square (=1 for
this case). Please follow this link for download:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flowcyt/files/Gating-ML/Gating-ML%201.5/EllipseCalculations.xls/download
I hope this addresses your issues; let me know if further help is needed.

Unfortunately, I'll have to leave it up to the flowCore/flowViz authors
to get back to you with your other questions.

Cheers,
Josef