[BioC] Hg18 build of org.Hs.eg.db

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Tue Sep 21 19:31:08 CEST 2010

Hello everyone,

In general, you should be reaching for the GenomicFeatures package when
you need things like chromosomal positions so that you can get the most
control over which build you are using etc.  The org. packages are meant
to be "gene-centric" instead of "genome centric", which may seem like a
fine point to parse on, but I think it's significant in this case.

The org packages do have some limited chromosomal position information,
but this is in there because people needed something a very long time
ago, long before we had better solutions (ie. GenomicFeatures).  It is
still sometimes useful to have chromosomal positions in these packages
and so they have remained there, but in most cases the org packages are
really meant for simply gene-centric annotations that can be attached
directly to something like an entrez gene ID.  Things like GO terms and
Unigene IDs.

In part because the genomic ranges of transcripts and genes can vary
with the build, these kinds of annotations required us to apply a
modular solution.  The basic notion is that you can use the
GenomicFeatures package to get appropriate Genomic range information
about your genome of interest and then use the org package to connect
additional gene-centric information based on genes you are working with
from your ranges in GenomicFeatures.

Finally, for the CHRLOC and CHRLOCEND annotations in the org packages:
these are actually based on the UCSC Genome builds.  The most recent
versions of these should specify the build being used and you can see
the information about where a particular annotation mapping is coming
from in its related manual page.  The CHR mapping on the other hand
comes from NCBI.  It's all documented in the manual pages, and has been
this way for ages, but I wouldn't blame you if you said this was
somewhat confusing.  If we were to add more of this kind of information
to the org packages, things could definitely get much more confusing.
And this sort of issue is another reason why we have stopped adding new
genomic range annotations to the org packages and instead created the
GenomicFeatures package.

I hope this helps to clarify things somewhat.  Please let me know if I
left questions unanswered?

  Marc