[BioC] Question about CSAMA10 "Lab-8-RNAseqUseCase.pdf" tutorial on bioconductor website.

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Sep 27 19:31:34 CEST 2010

On 09/27/2010 07:28 AM, Paul Geeleher wrote:
> Running it on a high end cluster, I estimated 41 hours based on how
> long it took to do the first 10 genes. It's not a majorly big deal as
> I can presumably run it in parallel for the different samples.

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Steve Lianoglou
> <mailinglist.honeypot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Paul Geeleher <paulgeeleher at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Okay great, thanks Steve, this works nicely. It does seem to take a
>>> long (2 days!) time though but I guess this is to be expected! (I'm
>>> assuming this is why they used the simple version in the tutorial...
>>
>> Wow ... that's ... a long time.
>>
>> What type of machine are you running this on, by the by?
>>
>> You know, I suspect it's so slow due to the slow speed involved in
>> lapply-ing over GRangesList objects, which has been brought up before:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor/30564

'Slow' might be measured on the minutes rather than days time frame,
unless you're running out of memory. Clusters often have relatively
small nodes and so the approach is to work with smaller chunks on each
node. If you've got lots of memory and it's still taking days, then
posting (simplified but still slow) code might suggest some insights.

We'd like to address the GRangesList performance issue in time for the
forthcoming release.

Martin