[BioC] Limma

Jenny Drnevich drnevich at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 6 16:52:51 CEST 2011

Hi Seraya,

I think your explanation for the reviewer is on
track. Despite the fact that some microarray
platforms allow the calculation of a metric
called "present" or "absent", they really cannot
detect whether a gene is truly expressed or not.
Instead, it's just a metric saying if the signal
was above some noise threshold. Now, the signal
measured will always be non-zero, so we can use
these numbers to calculate fold-change regardless
of the "present" or "absent" call. You are right
to throw out only those genes that are called
"absent" in all samples, but for the rest of the
genes, the "present/absent" metric is not good
enough to categorize "off" versus "on" genes, so
we just use the numbers measured, calculate
fold-changes and do statistical tests. Hopefully
the reviewer will be satisfied with an explanation of this sort.

Good luck,
Jenny