[BioC] Limma

Wei Shi shi at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Apr 7 01:02:14 CEST 2011

Hi Seraya:

	It is true for microarray as well that the signal could have a quantity even it corresponds to noise not to the real signal. This is because during normalization an offset is often added to the data (before log transformation) either explicitly or implicitly to improve the precision (reduce variances between replicates). This is also the reason why you would never see probes with zero intensity (raw scale) in a microarray analysis. Maybe you should make it clear to the reviewer that absent/non-expressed probes have intensities too. This is the way how microarray data are being analyzed.

	Illumina calculate the detection p values of probes using the intensities of all the negative control probes available on the array (~1000 such probes). For example, if a probe has a detection p value of 0.05, this will mean only 5% of all the negative control probes have intensities larger than the intensity of that probe. Maybe this will help you to explain how you determined whether a gene was expressed or not.

Cheers,
Wei