[BioC] identifying consistently expressed genes between replicates

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Apr 11 00:30:46 CEST 2011

Dear Wendy,

>From your email, I assume that you have found signature genes by comparing
each cell type to all the other cell types treated as one group.  As you
have correctly observed, this does not take account of consistency within
the other cell types.  Another way to find signature genes, that I think
is superior, is to choose signature genes to be those genes that are
uniquely higher or lower in the relevant cell type with respect to each of
the other cell types individually.  In other words, a positive signature
gene is higher in the relevant cell type against every other cell type,
not just against the average of the other cell types.  This was the method
used in:

Lim E, Vaillant F, Wu D, Forrest NC, Pal B, Hart AH, Asselin-Labat ML,
Gyorki DE, Ward T, Partanen A, Feleppa F, Huschtscha LI, Thorne HJ;
kConFab, Fox SB, Yan M, French JD, Brown MA, Smyth GK, Visvader JE,
Lindeman GJ.
Aberrant luminal progenitors as the candidate target population for basal
tumor development in BRCA1 mutation carriers.  Nature Medicine 2009.

to find stem cell signature genes.  If you do it this way, consistency
within the cell types is automatically taken care off, because the t-tests
will only choose genes with consistent behaviour.   limma can do all the
relevant pairwise tests for you in a couple of lines, then use
decideTests() to choose the signature genes.

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
NHMRC Senior Research Fellow,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
Tel: (03) 9345 2326, Fax (03) 9347 0852,
smyth at wehi.edu.au
http://www.wehi.edu.au
http://www.statsci.org/smyth