[BioC] EBarrays question

jgomez at uni-potsdam.de jgomez at uni-potsdam.de
Mon Apr 11 12:39:30 CEST 2011

Dear List,
I will describe my problem in more detail. Thanks Naomi for your
comments. Below you'll fin the R script, output and info about my
experiment. I hope someone help me to figure out the problems.
I have two sampling time points, morning and afternoon, and twelve
different samples (let's say different tissues), so I have 2*12=24
MAs. The samples are neither biological nor technical replicates, they
are as I wrote already different samples.
My object is a data matrix of the kind "ExpressionSet", meaning I have
normalized intensity values (of course no negative values in the data
matrix).

R script:
> library(EBarrays)
> pattern<-ebPatterns(c("1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0","1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"))
#With this pattern I hope to find DE genes between AM and PM time
points in #condition sample one. As I understand "1,1" is the NULL
expression pattern, #while "1,2" counts for µ AM different from µ PM,
sample 1.

> pattern
Collection of 2 patterns

     Pattern 1 has 1 group
        Group  1: 1 13

     Pattern 2 has 2 groups
        Group  1: 1
        Group  2: 13
> gg_data.out<-emfit(data,family="GG",hypotheses=pattern, num.iter=20)
> gg_data.out

  EB model fit
          Family: GG ( Gamma-Gamma )

  Model parameter estimates:

              alpha   alpha0         nu
Cluster 1 357.0943 4.742546 0.05231341

  Estimated mixing proportions:

           Pattern.1  Pattern.2
Cluster 1 0.9838123 0.01618772

> gg.post.out<-postprob(gg_data.out, data)$pattern
> gg.post.out
NULL

I get the same result for other patterns or using not GG but LNN.
To test if a less complex dataset would work better, I used another
time course. The experiment is a time course of 6 MAs, two genotypes
(mutant and wild type) sampled at 0, 12 and 48 h after treatment. The
results are identical, NULL for posterior probability.
I have tried to contact M. Yuan and C. Kendziorski, but got no answers
to my mails.
If anyone can point me to the mistake or mistakes I am doing, or can
suggest another program available for R or standalone to analyse time
series without replicates, I will be very, VERY grateful.
Regards,
Judy

--
Judith Lucia Gomez, PhD