[BioC] what to do with microarray outliers?

Wei Shi shi at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Apr 13 06:36:39 CEST 2011

Hi Theresa:

	Although it is possible that samples were wrongly labelled, I haven't encountered such a situation in all my microarray analyses in the last several years. What more happened was that arrays in the same experiment had variable qualities and in some rare circumstances some arrays could have a really poor quality due to for example sample preparation, hybridization problems and so on. In these cases however it would be better to keep these arrays in your analysis instead of throwing them away because these arrays could still provide useful information. But these arrays should be down weighted because their quality is poor. arrayWeights function is designed to address this problem.

Cheers,
Wei