[BioC] simpleafy plots

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Apr 13 15:50:50 CEST 2011

Hi Assa,

On 4/13/2011 3:13 AM, Assa Yeroslaviz wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Is there a way of changing the default parameters of the plots crated by the
> simpleaffy packge - pairwise.comparison plots.

Yes, but it will take some work on your part.

Hypothetically you could rename plot.pairwise.comparison() in your
global environment and modify it there, but as you note this gets
problematic as there are often multiple other functions in the
simpleaffy namespace that you would have to get as well, and then you
end up making more work for yourself.

The real way to do this is to download the source for this package, then
modify the functions (e.g., .pcscatterplot()) required to make your
changes, then build and install your modified package. Since you are on
Linux, this is relatively trivial.

If you need guidance on installing packages, please see the 'R
Installation and Administration' manual, specifically section 6.

Best,

Jim

> I want to plot two data aets on the same plot, but they all have the same
> three colors (red, orange and yellow). I tried to assign them different
> colours but I always get an error message, that I have multiple allocations
> for the same parameters.
> The same happens when I tried to set new titles for my X- and Y-axis.
>
> This is how I tried it:
>
>> plot(significant.rma_w,type="scatter") #scatter plot>  plot(significant.rma_d,type="scatter", col = c("purple","blue","green"), add=T) #scatter plotError in plot.xy(xy.coords(x, y), type = type, ...) :
>    formal argument "col" matched by multiple actual arguments
>
> I get a similar error message when trying to set new captions for the axes.
>
>> plot(results.rma_w,significant.rma_w, type="scatter",+ main= "significantly deregulated genes between high and low fractions",+ xlab="high density fraction (w)", ylab ="low density fraction (w)" ) #scatter plotError in plot.default(x, y, xlim = xlim, ylim = ylim, pch = pch, ...) :
>    formal argument "xlab" matched by multiple actual arguments
>
> when doing plot.pairwise.comparison.plot I get only this:
>
>> plot.pairwise.comparisonfunction (x, y = NULL, labels = colnames(means(x)), showPMA = TRUE,
>      type = "scatter", ...)
> {
>      if (type == "scatter") {
>          .pcscatterplot(x, y, labels, showPMA, ...)
>      }
>      else if (type == "volcano") {
>          .volcanoplot(x, y, labels, showPMA, ...)
>      }
>      else if (type == "ma") {
>          .maplot(x, y, labels, showPMA, ...)
>      }
> }
> <environment: namespace:simpleaffy>
>

> But when looking for, there is no such real functions to work with as
> .pcscatterplot.
>

> I will appreciate any kind of helps
>
> THX
>
> Assa