[BioC] edgeR- plotSmear

Davis McCarthy dmccarthy at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Apr 14 04:48:28 CEST 2011

Hi Sridhara

Remember that all of the usual R plotting commands can be passed to plotSmear in the '...' argument (see ?plotSmear). You can just change the pch argument as required (the standard R parameter for plotting symbol).

This code is one way of doing what you want to do (assuming that your DE results are in a DGEExact or DGELRT object called "results"):

de <- as.logical(abs(decideTestsDGE(results)))
plotsymbols <- rep(19, nrow(results))
plotsymbols[de] <- 4
plotSmear(results, cex=0.8, main="MA Plot", pch=plotsymbols)

This will give you closed circles for non-DE genes and 'x's for DE genes. You can play with the choice of symbols as you please.

Cheers
Davis

On Apr 13, 2011, at 11:54 PM, Sridhara Gupta Kunjeti wrote:

> Hello,
> I have used edgeR for DGE analysis and also generated plotSmear. I guess by
> dufault the plotSmear shows red dots for differentially expressed genes.
> But, I want to generate a black and white plot, is there a possbility to
> gene using different shape of the points, may be 'x' for the differentially
> expressed genes.  If any one know how to change this it will be helpful.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
> Sridhara
>

> --
> Sridhara G Kunjeti
> PhD Candidate
> University of Delaware
> Department of Plant and Soil Science
> email- sridhara at udel.edu
> Ph: 832-566-0011
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Davis J McCarthy
Research Technician
Bioinformatics Division
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia
dmccarthy at wehi.edu.au
http://www.wehi.edu.au

The information in this email is confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
You must not disclose, forward, print or use it without the permission of the sender.