[BioC] RNA-Seq with multiple factors [was Informations about DESeq package]

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Apr 24 01:31:33 CEST 2011

Dear Roman,

I know that your question was specifically about the DESeq package, but
you have previously asked about the edgeR, bayseq and DESeq packages on
SEQanswers:

  http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4349

so I thought you might appreciate a more complete answer.

I think that edgeR is the only package on Bioconductor that analyses
RNA-Seq experiments with multiple explanatory factors.

In your SEQanswers post, you asked about a paired comparison problem
(young males and females, old males and females).  The edgeR Vignette
gives in Section 11 a worked example of an analysis with paired
comparisons (tumour vs normal for the same patients) that is analogous to
your problem.  edgeR does not require you to have replicates of any of the
four conditions.  You can find tags that are differentially expressed
between Males and Females, adjusting for any age differences, by following
the analysis in the vignette.  You just need to substitute Age for Patient
and Sex for Group.

edgeR also has some special features to accommodate comparisons without
replicates, for example comparing two unreplicated libraries, but I don't
think you need this here.  For the record, this is done with
estimateGLMCommonDisp(method="deviance",robust=TRUE).

Try out the paired comparison analysis and let us know if you have any
problems with it.

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
NHMRC Senior Research Fellow,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
smyth at wehi.edu.au
http://www.wehi.edu.au
http://www.statsci.org/smyth