[BioC] two questions regarding Human Gene 1.0 ST arrays

Javier Pérez Florido jpflorido at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 20:54:32 CEST 2011

Sorry, I always forget sessionInfo(), see below

You are right, for Human Gene ST arrays and at transcript level, only
"core" mode exists. However, when:
fit<-fitPLM(OligoRaw)
where OligoRaw is the set of Raw data, the size of "fit" object is
257,430  and when the following command is executed

OligoEset<-rma(OligoRaw,target="probeset")

OligoEset has 257,430 features. So, the RMA procedure "inside" fitPLM
function performs a normalization at the probeset level.

On the other hand, summarization using RMA can be performed at the
transcript level in the following way:
OligoEset<-rma(OligoRaw,target="core")

which yields around 33000 transcripts.

I'm still confused about the concepts of "probeset" and "transcript" on
Human Gene Arrays.

For Exon arrays, probesets consists of four individual probes and
usually target a particular exon of a particular gene. Thus exon-level
intensity estimates correspond to the probeset-level estimates.
Probesets are further grouped into transcript clusters enabling
gene-level estimate to be computed by summarizing data from all probes
within the transcript cluster.

However, I don't know if I can assert that, for Gene arrays, probesets
target a particular exon of a particular gene and transcript cluster
enables gene-level estimates as Exon arrays. The only difference is
that, for Exon arrays, we have two more "annotation levels" with less
confidence score (extended and full). Otherwise, what is the utility of
summarizing at the probeset level on Hu Gene arrays?

This is related to my second question: can HuGene could detect
alternative splice events reliably? Can HuGene be used as an economical
exon array for just the well-annotated content (core)?

Thanks again,
Javier

Thanks,
Javier

R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=Spanish_Spain.1252  LC_CTYPE=Spanish_Spain.1252
LC_MONETARY=Spanish_Spain.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=Spanish_Spain.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
  [1] pd.hugene.1.0.st.v1_3.0.2
hugene10sttranscriptcluster.db_7.0.1
org.Hs.eg.db_2.5.0                   RSQLite_0.9-4
  [5] DBI_0.2-5
AnnotationDbi_1.14.1
oligo_1.16.0                         oligoClasses_1.14.0
  [9] affyPLM_1.28.5
preprocessCore_1.14.0
gcrma_2.24.1                         affy_1.30.0
[13] Biobase_2.12.1

[1] affxparser_1.24.0 affyio_1.20.0     Biostrings_2.20.0
bit_1.1-6         ff_2.2-1          IRanges_1.10.0    splines_2.13.0
tools_2.13.0