[BioC] RNASeq: normalization issues

Wei Shi shi at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Apr 29 01:07:22 CEST 2011

Hi João:

	Maybe you can try different normalization methods for your data to see which one looks better. How to best normalize RNA-seq data is still of much debate at this stage.

	You can try scaling methods like TMM, RPKM, or 75th percentile, which as you said normalize data within samples. Or you can try quantile between-sample normalization (read counts should be adjusted by gene length first), which performs normalization across samples. You can try all these in edgeR package.

	From my experience, I actually found the quantile method performed better for my RNA-seq data. I used general linear model and likelihood ratio test in edgeR in my analysis.

	Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Wei