[BioC] Error when using the nsFilter command in the genefilter package

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Dec 5 18:21:24 CET 2011

On 12/05/2011 07:52 AM, James W. MacDonald wrote:
>> 2: 'abind' cannot be updated, installed directory 'C:/Program
>>    Files/R/R-2.14.0/library' not writeable
>
> That's a pretty clear error: it says that R doesn't have permission to
> write to the library directory. Windows > XP are all more Unix-like in
> that the permissions to do things have been seriously curtailed. You
> would have had to invoke administrator privileges to install R in that
> directory, and there may be problems installing things even if you run R
> as administrator.
>
> Anyway, I am not sure about the nitty-gritty details of getting R to
> install to the system library on newer versions of Windows, and frankly
> this isn't the place to ask. Your best bet is to go do a search on
> R-help (or google) for something like
>
> installed directory 'C:/Program Files/R/R-2.14.0/library' not writeable
>
> or some subset thereof.

One brief caveat on this is that the warning comes because BiocInstaller
(i.e., a Bioconductor package) tries to encourage use of current
versions of packages. One could choose to ignore the good intentions
with the suppressUpdates argument documented on ?biocLite after
library(BiocInstaller).

Martin

--
Computational Biology