[BioC] MDS in edgeR

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Dec 8 23:44:01 CET 2011

Dear Susanne,

Please leave top at the default value unless you have a good reason to
change it.

Setting top to the whole genome would mean that you would be trying to
distinguish your samples using a collection genes that are mostly either
not differentially expressed between the samples or are not expressed at
all.  This would increase the noise in your comparison and risk marking
real patterns.

There is a large literature on unsupervised clustering, of which MDS is a
type, and filtering the genes to those which contain real information for
distinguishing the samples is pretty much universally recommended.  The
exact number that are used is not important, but the fact that it is
limited to more variable genes is.

Best wishes
Gordon