[BioC] GEOquery -> cannot open URL 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/ ....

Manca Marco (PATH) m.manca at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Tue Feb 8 15:18:58 CET 2011

Dear Sean, dear BioConductors

I am having some troubles using GEOquery. In fact, it won't connect to the GEO to download any data... I have tried even with datasets from the vignette and the result is the same. The website is working though (I can access the data if I use a browser i.e.: Firefox3.6.13) and my R can currently connect, as I have no problem using KEGGSOAP as instance.

Any suggestion? I am attaching my "code" and sessionInfo().

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Marco

#####@Workstation1:~$ R

R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> library(GEOquery)

Welcome to Bioconductor

  Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
  'openVignette()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
  'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation(pkgname)'.

> gds <- getGEO("GDS1")
Error in download.file(myurl, destfile, mode = mode, quiet = TRUE) :
  cannot open URL 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SOFT/GDS/GDS1.soft.gz'
> gse <- getGEO("GSE462")
Found 1 file(s)
GSE462_series_matrix.txt.gz
trying URL 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/GSE462/GSE462_series_matrix.txt.gz'
Error in download.file(sprintf("ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/%s/%s",  :
  cannot open URL 'ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/geo/DATA/SeriesMatrix/GSE462/GSE462_series_matrix.txt.gz'

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.utf8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C             LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.utf8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] GEOquery_2.16.3 Biobase_2.10.0

[1] RCurl_1.5-0 XML_3.2-0

--
Marco Manca, MD
University of Maastricht

Mailing address: PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht (The Netherlands)
Visiting address: Experimental Vascular Pathology group, Dept of Pathology - Room5.08,  Maastricht University Medical Center, P. Debyelaan 25, 6229  HX Maastricht

E-mail: m.manca at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Office telephone: +31(0)433874633
Personal mobile: +31(0)626441205
Twitter: @markomanka